Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A Prayer and a New Year's Resolution

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. – 1 Corinthians 13:13
I am not one for making “New Year’s Resolutions” per se; sure there are goals to meet and tasks to accomplish and the beginning of a new year is a great time to inventory and start anew. That said, losing weight, exercise more, make more money etc. they tend to be as Mary Poppins said “That's a pie crust promise; easily made, easily broken!”
So I avoid making these proclamations, instead I strive to improve, to “be” better than I was last year or yesterday. This year however I am making a New Year’s resolution, a desperate prayer if you will:
I resolve to be more loving, kinder, to put an end to the harsh and hurtful words and to ask God to bring my tongue into submission. I know I cannot do this on my own, but I know that with God ALL things (even my boastful & arrogant tongue) can be transformed.
The apostle James wrote:
“but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so.” – James 3:8-10
Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment