Sunday, August 28, 2011

125 Days



2011 Has been quite a year thus far; I was blessed to spend a few months serving on the reservation in New Mexico and some very interesting things are happening in our family. As often happens in this life, my plans for the rest of this year have been changed, proving yet again we (I) do not control very much at all.

As I caught my breath today (finally) after two really rough days with bronchitis I began yet another assessment and planning for the remainder of this year.

There are 125 days remaining in 2011. I pondered this morning, what if the Creator decided that the next 125 days would determine if and for how long I was allowed to occupy space on His planet?

What would I do, starting today, to demonstrate to God, that I am not just taking up space, that I could make a positive contribution and the world would be a little better for my having lived?

I considered some of the voices that have challenged and inspired me over the years and thought I would share a few not so random thoughts this morning. Some (not all) are Christian thinkers, but all think and look outside of themselves.

Frederick Buechner wrote: "Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid."

(I don't know that it's always the "terrible" things that make us afraid, sometimes it's the beauty. Maybe that is what Marianne Williamson meant in "Return to Love")

‎"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.' We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world." - Marianne Williamson, A Return to Love

(Of course as Francis Chan points out we must be careful what we wish for and thus accomplish.)

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter." - Francis Chan

This is the true joy of life: the being used up for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; being a force of nature instead a feverish, selfish little clot of ailments and grievances, complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.” – George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

We all fall into that category from time to time, but we can and must rise above it and see this gift of life as valuable beyond measure. I am confident in my value, because while I can be a major screw-up at times, my foundation is solid and my "worth" isn't based upon my deeds. My value, my worth is defined by the Creator of all things and He is very clear that I (and you) have great value in His eyes. (Read Matthew 6:25-26)

This is the gospel. The just and loving Creator of the universe has looked upon hopelessly sinful people and sent his Son, God in the flesh, to bear his wrath against sin on the cross and to show his power over sin in the Resurrection so that all who trust in him will be reconciled to God forever. - Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream (David Platt)

Shalom, and have a fantastic 125 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment